The current service project is Quilts of Valor®. The mission of the Quilts of Valor Foundation is to cover service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor. More information about the organization and its mission can be found at qovf.org.
A Quilt of Valor says “thank you for your service, sacrifice and valor” in serving our nation. Quilts of Valor are to reflect the best possible workmanship and use of quality materials consistent with the Foundation’s core value of promoting excellence.
A one-page handout listing procedures to make a Quilt of Valor (QOV) can be downloaded as a pdf. Key points to remember are:
- A QOV must be large enough to cover an average-sized adult, with an ideal size of approximately 60” x 80” -- minimum finished size of 55” x 65,” maximum 72” x 90.”
- It is recommended that a QOV be made in patriotic colors since these are the quilts that are most desired.
- Any pattern or block may be used. (Download a list of free quilt patterns)
- The label must say “Quilt of Valor”.
Sleeves for Quilts of Valor in the Quilt Show
Apologies for any confusion with sleeves for the Quilts of Valor. We plan to hang all quilts received by the July 31 deadline to ﬁll up the space. Does your Quilt of Valor need a sleeve?
- If your quilt ID Card says your quilt will be in the Sit ‘n’ Sew room, or the room is “NOT HUNG”, it does not need a sleeve.
- If your quilt ID Card shows a room and location other than other than Sit ‘n’ Sew, it will need a sleeve.
Please contact Patricia Warren if you have questions.
Quilts of Valor Ceremony at the 2017 Quilt Show
Twenty Veterans will be awarded a QOV at our Oct 2017 quilt show. All of these Veterans were nominated by members of the guild. The award ceremony will take place at 1 pm on Saturday October 14, 2017.
Nominations have closed for our quilt show; however, you can always nominate a Veteran to receive a QOV at the Quilts of Valor Foundation website (qovf.org). From the QOVF homepage, click on the button labeled “How to request a Quilt of Valor” or go to the “Take Action” tab at the top of the page. You will be routed to a form requesting information about the Veteran and you, the nominator. The request will be forwarded to the QOV coordinator in the Veteran's state of residence.